Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Best Friends: Your Main Character’s Sidekick


Sometimes good hero needs a sidekick or a best friend. They can provide the comic relief as Ron Weasley so often did. They can be helpful and save your hero’s behind like Timon and Pumbaa. They can sometimes be annoying like Edmund in the Narnia books (or worse like Eustace Scrubb). Sometimes, the sidekick simply gets your characters into more shenanigans like Ethel of I Love Lucy.
Either way, your character isn’t a solitary figure. (Unless you are writing about the last man in the entire world). Use those people around them to create a richer world and a richer character.
Here are some pictures of my two favorite best buddies:






17 comments:

  1. yep it's like mary without rhoda---lucy without ethel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Batman without Robin? Wait, does the new Dark Knight have a Robin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite duo is Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cat, Koko, from Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who series--although I think Jim may be the sidekick to KoKo! Loved your pix--what a special relationship your pets have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started a Dynamic Duo board on my pinterest because I am intrigued by the dynamic! Your duo of cat and dog is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pictures! A duo can definitely add dimension to your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does having an imaginary friend count?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute is that? What nice pals...and even the same size lol..I love the first picture...too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really do love each other, don't they! So sweet. Thanks so much for stopping by to see me.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...love the pics, and yes, a furry sidekick has a tendency to add just enough of a push to sometimes keep a reader from closing the book ;)

    El

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a 110 pound lab mix and a 6 pound chihuahua. They staged escapes together. I think the chihuahua was the mastermind and big dog opened the gate. I think the side characters are fun to write - it's easier to make them quirky without having to explain why.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing friendship. I can't even imagine my cat accepting a dog, or even another cat, as her best buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute pics! Blackadder without Baldrick wouldn't be nearly as funny. Don't know if you know that show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a darling duo! you are very right about sidekicks/best friends sometimes they even need both.

    *~MAJK~*

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are really cute pictures. And you are right about the best friend/sidekick. What would Han be without Chewy? Great post - new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Precious! Oh, but I wish they were lounging near my window.

    ReplyDelete